By Maria Lichty
Peanut Butter Cookies – this is the BEST peanut butter cookie recipe! The cookies are super soft, chewy, and have lots of peanut butter flavor. If you like peanut butter, you will LOVE these cookies!
I bake a lot of cookies. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT! I love creating new cookie recipes, but I also love baking the classics.
Peanut butter cookies are some of my favorites to bake: peanut butter oatmeal, peanut butter chocolate chip, no bake cookies, peanut butter blossoms, and peanut butter cup pretzel cookies, just to name a few.
But whenever I am in the mood for good old-fashioned peanut butter cookies so I make my Soft Peanut Butter Cookies. This is the BEST peanut butter cookie recipe out there.
I’ve been making these peanut butter cookies for years and every time I make them I fall in love all over again. They are seriously the best peanut butter cookies.
The cookies are super soft, chewy, and have the perfect peanut butter flavor. They practically melt in your mouth. I can never stop at one…or three:) They are the BEST peanut butter cookies!
If you are a peanut butter lover, youwill LOVE these cookies. They are absolutely perfect!
Table of Contents
- Cookie Ingredients
- How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- How to Store and Freeze
- More Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- All-purpose flour– to measure the flour, give it a good stir/fluff, spoon it into the measuring cup, and then level it off with a knife. Never pack your flour or you will have dry and puffy cookies.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder– to give the cookies a nice lift.
- Salt– to enhance the flavors.
- Butter– use unsalted butter that is at room temperature. If your butter is too warm the cookies will be flat and greasy, we don’t want that!
- Peanut butter– use a brand like Skippy or Jif for this recipe. I like creamy peanut butter, but crunchy will work too if you want a slight peanut crunch!
- Sugar– brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- Egg– always use large eggs for baking.
- Vanilla extract– use pure vanilla extract, the good stuff!
- Extra Granulated Sugar– for rolling the cookies. The sugar makes them extra sweet and extra pretty.
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
(Scroll down for the full recipe with ingredients and instructions)
- Preheat oven the oven and line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter together until combined. Add the sugars and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix the dough.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of dough and form a cookie dough ball. Roll in granulated sugar until well coated. Place on prepared baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes or until they are golden at the edges and just set. Don’t over bake, the cookies will set up as they cool. If you over bake the cookies won’t be soft and we are going for a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie.
- Remove pan from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
How to Store and Freeze
- Chilling the Cookie Cookie Dough: Covered tightly, the cookie dough will keep in the fridge for up to 72 hours.
- Storing Baked Cookies: Store the baked cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. To keep the cookies soft, place a piece of bread in the container. The bread will get hard but the cookies will stay soft. It is magic!.
- Freezing Baked Cookies: Let the cookies cool completely. Store in a freezer bag or freezer container for up to 3 months.
- Freezing Cookie Dough: Place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet or tray and freeze until balls are solid. Transfer the dough balls to a freezer container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove the balls from the freezer and preheat the oven. Bake the cookies as directed but add a couple of minutes to the baking time.
Can I use natural peanut butter?
I recommend using a brand like Skippy or Jif for this peanut butter cookie recipe. Natural peanut butter will make the cookies dry and crumbly.
Do I have to chill the dough before baking?
No, you can make the dough and bake right away.
If you want to chill the dough, it will keep in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to 72 hours. When you preheat the oven, take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes. Then, you can scoop or roll the dough into balls and bake.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes! You can easily double the recipe…and you might want to because the cookies are SO good!
Can I add chopped peanuts or chocolate chips?
Yes, you can stir in up to 1 cup of chopped peanuts or chocolate chips.
More Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- No Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Salted Pretzel Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
This is the BEST peanut butter cookie recipe! The cookies are super soft, chewy, and have lots of peanut butter flavor. If you like peanut butter, you will LOVE these cookies!
4.90 from 38 votes
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 9 mins
Total Time 24 mins
Servings 24 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Extra granulated sugar, for rolling cookies in
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter together until combined. Add the sugars and beat until creamy and smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Don't over mix.
Take about 2 tablespoons of dough and form a cookie dough ball. Roll in granulated sugar. Place cookies on prepared baking sheet, about 2-inches apart.
Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes or until they are golden at the edges and just set. Don’t overbake, the cookies will set up as they cool. Remove pan from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Don’t over bake the cookies! They will finish cooling as they cool.
Store the cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.
Calories: 125kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 100mg, Potassium: 58mg, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 130IU, Calcium: 13mg, Iron: 0.5mg
Keywords peanut butter cookies
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod